Sunday, February 10, 2013

Why do they keep hospitals so cold? I mean a person is already sick when they are admitted and yet, you run a chance of acquiring Pneumonia once here. The dark of his room is quiet and soothing to me. But as I watch him sleeping it becomes an Iron Lung  watching his chest heave up and down. But as a Mother I have to make sure he continues to breath. These last months have been treacherous; each day we never know what lies in tomorrow.  This infection that has raided and ravaged my sons body it is a sly yet quiet enemy. Sneaking into his body unknowing to us why or where it came from. He was a young and handsome man with a life. Over the last year and a half it has reduced his body to a fragile old 29 year old man. He is gaunt and fifty pounds less, the pallor of his skin is pale almost ashen in color. Each day I arrive and immediately look for movement, just to make sure he is still alive. I go home to shower and refresh myself so I can feel human once again if only for a few moments. I stand under the shower and let the warm water run over my face and just for a brief space of time; everything is alright .. Until I pick up my keys and head back to the door then reality returns .. my son is dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment